Friday, January 6, 2012

Getting Back to Normal

Christmas, photo by Jason K.

OK, so Wednesday's blog post was sappy. But I'm always sappy and depressed when I have such a lovely time in Ohio with my family and friends. After about a week I'm back to normal.

It doesn't come as a shock. Every year it's the same. I eagerly await seeing my family for the first time in months. I stuff myself with delicious homemade food and go to my favorite restaurants. I make plans with good friends. I dig my toes into the carpet and put up my feet, cursing my hardwood floors and old couch. I dawdle in Meijer and Kroger, newly shocked at the space and selection.

And because it's Christmas, everyone and everything is at their best. The sadness at returning to New York after the holidays isn't quite like coming back at any other time. If the highs aren't as high, the lows aren't as low.

This year, of course, was no different. Nevertheless, we were back in Brooklyn on Monday night, and Tuesday was just a normal day at work, except with more emails. But I had a good book to read on the subway, and a cheery snowman doormat from my sister greeting me when I got home. Almost back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...