Monday, May 10, 2010

A Guilty Congratulations

The distance from home seems longer at some times than at others.

Five hundred miles really isn't that far. It's about two hours by plane, and I swear most of that is spent at the gates. By car it's a 10 to 12 hour drive, depending on traffic and our destination.

Either way, the distance is just far enough to be inconvenient. Now a trip home takes planning, and a simple weekend jaunt to visit my parents is out of the question.

But it doesn't prevent me from feeling guilty about all of the times I feel I should be there. This past weekend is a prime example. Not only was it Mother's Day, but my sister graduated with a master's degree in education. A congratulations over the phone (and, ahem, by blog) isn't quite the same as being there for the family celebration, but it'll have to do.

So congratulations, Katie. Finally, you can stick to assigning homework instead of working on it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...