Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's No Christmas Tree, But ...

We don't really have room for a Christmas tree. Even if we could squeeze it into the corner of the living room, we certainly don't have room to store an artificial one the other 11 months of the year.

Real trees are sold on the corner a couple of blocks from here, but lugging one up three flights of stairs, watching the cats destroy it and then lugging it down three flights in January doesn't sound like much fun.

Instead, this is the second year I've created my own Christmas "tree" out of the curio cabinet my parents gave us for a wedding present. The glassware gets stored for a month, and in its place I arrange the ornaments in the pretty glass bowls we also received as wedding gifts but rarely use.

I even place some garland on top, along with a big red bow.

As for Christmas lights, I hang those around the door to the living room. Another strand frames the large window looking down toward the street.

It's not a tree, but it's festive enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a great idea! I didn't even put up any decorations this year because I knew the kitties would just tear them up. I had mini trees on top of a bookshelf last year, and wreaths on the walls, but that doesn't give you a focal point like a traditional tree. I want a glass cabinet like that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...