Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Day: Christmas Arrives Early

Tuesday felt a bit like Christmas morning. All excitement, anticipation. And when the election was finally called for Obama, I felt like I got everything I asked for.

It's odd to actually be endorsing a candidate. As a journalist it is strictly forbidden to publicly support any candidate, whether for county commission or President of the United States. No taking telephone polls, no signs in the yard, and no signing petitions.

But this election cycle I could tell anyone who would listen that I would be voting for Obama. Not that too many people asked. If you live in New York, especially New York City, it's pretty much assumed that you're a Democrat.

Our neighborhood is conservative, however, so Paul fits right in. While Paul didn't vote for Obama, he also didn't vote for McCain. He cast one of the approximately 17 votes for Libertarian candidate Bob Barr. OK, maybe that estimate is a little low. But Paul long supported Ron Paul, and even McCain circa 2000.

Our polling place is only a block from our apartment, in a gymnasium at the local Lutheran preschool. We anticipated a long line, so we decided to vote together, hoping to pass the time with conversation, in iPod and a couple of books. No need. We had absolutely no line, which was a pleasant surprise.

Of course, we were glued to the TV the rest of the night and only went to bed after watching Obama's victory speech. It all seemed very reminiscent of "Evita," didn't it? I kept expecting the crowds in Chicago to chant "O-ba-ma, O-ba-ma," while he breaks out into "Don't cry for me, US voters." He might have been able to pull it off.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny -- NONE of my co-workers made ANY secret of the fact that they were supporting Obama and that they were excited when he won.

    So I felt OK about expressing my excitement when he won, too, on my blog, which is private anyway. A lot of the other reporters were way more public about their political views. One of my editors even put an Obama sign out in his yard! That surprised me. Way to perpetuate the whole "liberal media" stereotype, guys.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again -- we had actual good choices this year, unlike in 2000 and 2004!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I'm SO beyond irritated with the anti-Obama people screaming about "Barack Hussein Obama." YES, that is his middle name. WE GET IT. But emphasizing it again and again makes you look like a damn bigot. It's one thing if you don't agree with the guy's economic/tax policies or think he lacks foreign policy experience. Those are legit concerns. Making a big thing about the fact that he is supposedly a Muslim is not. Rant over. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...