Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Tech Changes Over the Years

January and February have long been my least favorite months -- the weather is lousy, we're mostly stuck inside, and there isn't much to do except plan summer vacations. (I'm working on it.) So instead of DOING anything, I end up sitting inside THINKING about stuff. Sometimes too much.

Last week a Facebook memory popped up from exactly 10 years ago -- I was appalled that we had received a delivery menu from our local Burger King, just a few blocks away from our apartment in Brooklyn. Delivery from a fast food restaurant?! The horror! Of course now that kind of thing is commonplace. (Although I'm not sure we've ordered meal delivery for anything besides the odd pizza -- but even that we normally pickup.)

That got me thinking. When we moved to New York in 2007, we purchased a GPS system for the car. We still had flip phones, so no maps there! We got our first iPhones in 2009, and social media was introduced to me shortly after. (Myspace from back in the day barely counts, does it?) Even when we moved back to Ohio in 2013 I was still paying per text -- my unlimited text plan came sometime after. And we ditched cable or Dish -- who can even remember what we had back then? -- during the move to Columbus and switched to streaming services full time.

It all makes me wonder what's coming up in the years ahead. What's just starting out now that will be ho-hum in a decade? What will I be using then that I don't have even the slightest inkling of now? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...