Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Three Worrying Weeks

It's been three of the most stressful weeks of my life, but it all came out right in the end.

I found a lump in my left breast. Gave it a few days to see if it would go away on its own. It didn't, so I made the soonest appointment -- for two days later. Confirmed it was there (surprise, surprise) and was referred for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound, but they couldn't be scheduled for six more days. Meanwhile I'm contemplating what it would be like to have cancer, or worse.

I got the results of those tests that same day -- it was probably nothing, but since it didn't appear on my previous mammogram (and only mammogram, since I had just turned 40 the year before) a biopsy was recommended. But the soonest it could be scheduled was a week later. Commence a worrying seven days.

I was prepared for the worst in pain, and hoping for the best in results.

It wasn't so bad. Two hours in and out for a procedure that lasted all of 10 minutes. I basically felt like I had been walloped with a baseball bat, but even that feeling went away in about 12 or 15 hours. I didn't even take any pain medication.

The results came back the next day: a benign fibroadenoma.

Although the tests and procedures occupied all my thoughts for the better part of a month, I've since learned how common they all are. I wish I would have known that before I started down this path! Six days later I have a couple of small bruises, no pain and a large bill lol. But it could have been so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...