Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Edith Celebrates Her First Communion

 

Edith's First Communion is a date I'd been looking forward to for a long time, maybe even before she had a name. One of the true heirlooms in my family is the white dress my mom wore for her First Communion in the 1960s. Her younger sister later wore it, followed by me in 1989. My own younger sister and younger cousin also had their day in it.

So when I found out that Paul and I were having a girl, it didn't take long for my mind to turn to the dress. And with only a younger brother and boy cousins, Edith would probably be the last in quite a while to wear it.

She had her chance on Saturday, as the sixth person and third generation to don the outfit. She carefully put on the dress and veil, adding a white mask made by Paul's mom as a nod to the times. The pandemic and distancing measures resulted in two separate communion masses, with family seated a couple of pews apart and each second grader allowed only six guests.

Edith behaved, looked and was perfect. And at the end of the day I carefully packed away the dress and veil, ready for the next generation.





Photo provided by our church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...