Tuesday, July 3, 2018

A Return to New York

Brooklyn Bridge Park, June 26

The week before we left, Edith couldn't wait to remind us that we were about to visit the city where she was born. We spend last week in New York City, our third visit since we moved away in July 2013.

I'm glad we made the trip, and it was good for me. A return visit was overdue -- our last one was in fall 2015, when Atticus was only six months old -- and this trip dispelled a lot of my notions and recollections of the city. It was dirtier than I remembered, and the food didn't even taste as good! Seeing friends was hard. Getting to Manhattan from our old Bay Ridge neighborhood is long even when you're alone, but it's long and difficult when you have two kids.

Of course, we have been missing for most of the last five years and haven't discovered the newest fun reasons to remain in New York. But still. For the first time, if Paul or I were offered a job in New York, I'm not sure I would jump at the chance to return.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE NEW YORK. But this trip made me definitively realize that Columbus is not a consolation prize. I love it here too.

In any case, we had a great trip, and I'll be posting some of the highlights off and on over the next several Tuesdays. We even spent a couple of days in Pittsburgh on the way home! Enjoy.

New York slice, June 23

Me and Atticus, June 23

Yummy cupcake, June 23

Alexander Hamilton's grave at Trinity Church, June 24

And Eliza Hamilton, too.


Central Park, June 25

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...