Monday, April 2, 2012

Dishwasher vs. Washing Machine

I think I've passed another turning point regarding living in New York.

I'm now at the stage where I would rather go without an in-apartment washer and dryer than give up my dishwasher.

The chances that I will ever have to choose between one or the other again are slim to nil. If we ever again buy a house, it will have both. And if it doesn't, we will install what is lacking. But in a purely hypothetical scenario, if I could have only one and not the other, I value the dishwasher more.

Maybe that's because I haven't lived without a dishwasher since my junior year in college. Back then, when my meals consisted mainly of tri-color pasta topped with butter and/or toasted pitas filled with butter and cinnamon, cleaning the dishes by hand wasn't difficult. But now that I eat real meals cooked with real, crusty-when-dry ingredients, washing them is a pain in the neck. Luckily I have Paul for the cooking, but loading and unloading the dishwasher generally falls to me. I know I have the better end of that deal.

I think I would also feel differently if the Laundromat were further away, instead of right around the corner, practically in the same building. We don't even have to cross the street. There's plenty of downsides, of course -- having to save quarters (or small bills to put into the change machine) and not being able to do the wash after 8:30 p.m., being the obvious ones.

But as it stands now, I'm content. So long as the dishwasher doesn't break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...