Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Election Eyes: Glued to the TV

I've watched more daytime TV in the last week than in the last decade.

I'm not talking soap operas, although you could be excused for mistaking this election for just another Days of Our Lives storyline. But for better or worse, this is real life.

With my newspaper background, I'm not much of a TV news fan. But elections call for the drama of CNN. I couldn't help myself last Monday night -- I snuck it on for a bit after the kids went to bed. On Election Day itself, I miraculously managed to avoid the TV til 6:30.

But all bets were off starting Wednesday. While the kids were in Zoom school, I'd watch with closed captions. During lunch, I'd turn on the sound. And after school was over, it was all news all the time -- basically til I went to bed.

Georgia. Pennsylvania. Nevada. Arizona. My ears were tuned to hear the slightest whisper of these words. And yet when the race was finally called on Saturday, I was outside. Paul handed me his phone: The race was called for Biden. The day (the week! the year!) immediately brightened.

There's no denying that I'm pleased with the results of the presidential election (even if so many other races left something to be desired). But the truly hard work begins now. Here's hoping that we all do our part in good faith to overcome the divisions of the past. And turn off the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...