Tuesday, November 19, 2019

It's Been a While: Living in Columbus

Paul and I hit a milestone earlier this year -- the longest we've ever lived in a single place together. So far:

Clintonville (Columbus, Ohio): 6 years, 3 months
Brooklyn, New York: 5 years, 9 months
Galloway (Columbus suburb): 4 years, 2 months

As sad as I was to leave Brooklyn (truthfully, I was downright hostile to the idea for a while), I'm glad we made the move. Even more specifically, I'm glad we moved at the exact time that we did, down to the day. Paul moved back to Columbus in July 2013 -- on my birthday, believe it or not -- leaving me and 8-month-old Edith to await the moving truck later that week. He drove back to Brooklyn the following weekend to pick us up and that was it -- we officially moved to Columbus.

We had been house hunting on trips back to Ohio and even came close to putting in an offer on a house in Upper Arlington. But the first house we looked at on our first full day as Columbus residents was the one. We moved in a month later, and now our neighbors are such good friends that I can't imagine leaving.

Of course it's wonderful being so close to family, too -- that was the biggest reason we came back to begin with. And I love having a driveway, garage and washer and dryer. I miss the buzz and excitement that is ever present in New York City, and I miss the food (although a few of my favorite restaurants there don't exist anymore anyway). I get pangs in which I wish we still lived there, but overall I think I'm happiest here.

The worst part of being in one place for so long is all of the "stuff" that has accumulated. Since we haven't moved lately and have no plans of doing so anytime soon, there's been no reason to purge! But it's a small price to pay for being so happy in the place we love most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...