Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Presidents Day, Another President Book

Ten years ago, Paul and I embarked on a journey to read a biography of every single President of the United States. Ten years later, we're still working on it.

For the third year in a row, I spent Presidents Day reading a presidential biography. Two years ago I started a book on FDR. Last year I finished one on Truman. Yesterday I finished "Eisenhower," by Paul Johnson, a succinct biography of our 34th president. At this rate, it's going to take more than a decade to finish up, so I think I better make this goal more of a priority. (But to give myself a little credit, not long ago I did read "Leadership in Turbulent Times," Doris Kearns Goodwin's excellent book outlining the leadership skills of four presidents. So I'm not totally ignoring the mission!)

As we get closer and closer to modern times, it's interesting to learn more about the events that shaped our country during my and my parents' lifetimes. Our mission may be taking longer than we expected, but it's a worthwhile one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...