Tuesday, February 5, 2019

"Hamilton," Finally!

I had been waiting to see the hit musical Hamilton for 2.5 years. I can practically name the day -- I got the soundtrack from the library in July 2016, and we listened to the the entire three hours or so on a long car trip one Saturday at the end of the month. I've been hooked ever since.

Less than a year later, that following March, it was announced that the traveling production of Hamilton would visit Columbus ... in two seasons. One year later, in March 2018, I finally had a date -- Hamilton would visit my city in January and February 2019.

We had tickets for this past Saturday, and it was every bit as good as I expected. I know the lyrics backward and forward (however, please don't ask me to rap them!), and even the kids know a fair amount. Even though the story held no surprises, it was fun to witness the visually comedic moments that you just can't hear -- and to listen to the reactions of fellow theater-goers who knew little about the musical.

The takes on the characters were often different than I was used to, having been exposed only to the official soundtrack. I would gladly see it again with a different cast (or, let's face it, even with the same cast once again). Many thanks to my mom and dad, who stayed with our kids while we were gone, even dropping them off and picking them up from a birthday party and staying overnight so we could have a leisurely dinner after our matinee. It was an unforgettable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...