Friday, May 7, 2010

The Lonely Lilacs of Bay Ridge


Green is a beautiful color after a long winter, but purple is even prettier.

Last year, on one of my many trips to and from the subway station near our apartment, I noticed a purple lilac bush. Rather, I smelled it. I remember literally stopping in my tracks while my nose did a double take.

This spring I've adjusted my route to and from the subway so I walk by the bush almost each day, tracking its progress and trying to catch it in full bloom. The bush is about my height and scarcely wider, trapped behind a fence. It's nothing like my parents' lilac bushes -- or the ones we recently saw at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden -- that could more accurately be called trees. But it's all I have in Bay Ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...