Monday, May 2, 2011

Analyzing My Case of Royal Wedding Fever

My husband says he feels like he hardly knows me.

Why, he wonders, would I ever awake at 5:40 a.m. to watch Prince William wed Kate Middleton live?

I've told him that it's because I have to get my share of romance from somewhere -- it's certainly not coming from his direction. Although, truth be told, I've never been one to expect or want some grand gesture ... or even flowers on my birthday. I'm certainly no romantic myself.

Although maybe, deep down inside, I am? After all, my favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice." So perhaps I'm trying to see Wills and Kate as modern-day versions of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett. Rich dude with a gigantic mansion marries beautiful, spunky middle-class girl. When Elizabeth's elder sister asks when she began to love Mr. Darcy, she answers in jest:

"It has been coming on so gradually that I hardly know when it began. But I believe I must date it from my first seeing his beautiful grounds at Pemberley."

In Kate's case, Buckingham Palace couldn't have hurt.

When I set my alarm Thursday night, Paul was sure I was joking. Nevertheless, on Friday I awoke before the sun rose, turned on the BBC and curled up on the couch. I downed some cereal in the middle of the ceremony; I caught the famous balcony kiss a few minutes before heading to work.

I never considered hosting or attending a royal wedding watch party. I'd never even heard Kate Middleton's name before the day they announced their engagement. I can't say what exactly drew me in, but I think it's at least partly because she and I are the same age. That somehow makes the whole shindig more accessible -- and it has made me compare our marriage to theirs, much to Paul's chagrin. Example:

Me: "Do you think Will and Kate play Uno and eat snacks on the couch at midnight?"

Paul: "I like it when you compare me to people I can't compete with!"

So now it's back to the real world, both for me and for them. Although probably more for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...