Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Things Sure Have Changed?

Last week marked the one-year anniversary of Paul being offered his job in New York. Hard to believe it's been that long.

We both flew to New York on a Thursday morning last August. I explored Times Square and Greenwich Village in sweltering heat while he had his interview. Less than 24 hours later he had a job offer.

I was going to write that things sure have changed since then, but really it's only me. The neighborhood is just as loud; I just don't notice it anymore. Mom and Dad are more likely than me to be bothered by the cars honking outside the window when I talk to them on the phone.

The late-night buses and trucks used to keep me up at night. No longer.

I used to hate walking to the grocery store and carrying our food back. Now I appreciate it. I always hated grocery shopping anyway, and since we have to buy less at one time that means we don't spend as long there.

Yes, the apartment is smaller than our house, but I don't mind that either. In fact, our apartment has more windows than the house does, and the large, long ledge in the living room allows me to sit in the window and people-watch two stories below.

It really came home to me how long we've been here when our landlord sent the paperwork to renew our lease for another year. We'll be here until at least the end of August 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...